College Observations: Tips on How to Get Through Your First Semester of College
Here is my list of tips for you!
- Personally I found college to be a lot like DAA. DAA sets you up class wise for your first semester. You have either already learned the content or you had been given a summary of the content, but don’t let yourself slack off because of it. Your grades now mean 2x more than they did in high school. STAY ON TOP OF YOUR GRADES OR YOU’LL FALL BEHIND. You don’t want to fall behind in any class. You’re just asking for all-nighters, which are never fun, and way too much unnecessary stress.
- You will probably want to eat all the food and snacks you can, but please don’t because the Freshman 15 is still a thing in college.
- There are some classes where you have to take notes and others where you don’t. If you figure this out in the beginning you will be golden for prime studying.
- Always listen in class. You’ll actually learn and learning in this case is a VERY good thing.
- Get cereal and milk from the café the day before for the next day so you don’t have to rush your breakfast. Start your day off right.
- I’m not just saying that because I’m an Exercise Science major. Exercising will make you feel better physically. It’s easier to get things done if you feel good.
- Call your parents at least every other day. They miss you like crazy!
- Do not spend hours watching Netflix or playing video games. Go take a walk, hang out with friends, or do some extra studying. You’ll be better off for it.
- Get a job. The extra money is not only great but you can start paying off your loans. Getting a job also gets you off of the campus. If you do get a job, remember to budget your money. You’re going to need to learn that skill if you haven’t already.
- Listen when people give you advice. You might learn something.
Just keep those tips in mind as you get ready to start this new chapter in life! I wish you all the best!
- Rylee Jo Peterson